Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Day 9 - Big White

After last nights schemozzle we slept in a little and got onto the mountain around 11AM.

Overnight, there had been around another 4cm. It doesn't seem to be stopping for us!

We basically just cruised around all day trying to find untouched stashes of the last remaining powder...we seem to be getting up way too late.



I took some time out to do what my osteo Rayne said to do; take time out and just "be" and experience where I was. And I did. It was lovely. Canada is truly an awe-inspiring place, capable of salving even the deepest dischord and disharmony.

There is a startling difference in the feel of the mountain compared to say a lesser extent Falls and Hotham. It feels like you're on display - constantly being analysed for what you're wearing and how you're riding.

It's rather bemusing actually. Whatever happened to just riding? I think the Nelsonians are onto something.

We ride every lift and the Cliff/Parachute Bowl for me is a highlight. I remember back 6 years ago (!) when Dave and I hiked East Peak on blue ice and horrible wind - terribly frightening - to get freshies down the chutes. Unbelievable. See below, some guys had ignored the avalanche warnings for freshies. Discretion definitely didn't play the best part of valour but look at the payoff.
Following shots are all of the aforementioned area. You can see the slide areas. Dangerous, but worth it.









Packy looking at East Peak, well, it looks like he has some longing in him. Not worth the hike for the "short" ride, eh, Mr Pack? Hmmmm.


We have dinner with Mexi and Hayree et al and I get awesome salmon and vegies and we bomb for an early night with some much needed sleep.

My only query for the greater universe is why do people smell? Why don't they exhibit some sort of cleanliness, particularly when rooming in close proximity to others.

Gee I am missing good Limoncello coffee and avocado and riding my bike and running and salt water but my Lord we are having fun.

No comments: