Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Day 11 - Silverstar powder/transit Revelstoke

Wow.

I awoke an hour earlier than Chancellor Pack commanded - we've never been ready to early or so quickly as this morning after we witnessed the sight outside.

Heavy snow greeted us; and it is once again pancakes.
Everyone is a little more friendly and helpful at Silverstar. People seem a little less closed off. More talk, smiles.

This is the earliest we've been ready. We head out and are faced by deep, dry Okanagan Valley snow. A local tells me later the day before's snow was drier, but when you're from Australia, this snow is dry. Apparently 25cm of snow, in addition to the 16cm yesterday, however, when I am hiking an untouched bowl later, I am up to my waist. I make that 2 foot at least. The bowl had the same. And I got it first. Unbelievable.

We head down to Comet and I get bogged twice in powder drifts. I head down under Comet and get first tracks.



Josh takes off, and once I get to the lift, he has gone...

Which suits me fine as I ride Comet to the top, and find a blue run, again, untouched.

This face shot was around 1 foot deep.

Just endless. Light was gloomy and supernatural. Just how I like it.

The next few shots are of some first tracks and freshies I got through Spruce Meadow, which I had spotted the day before, whilst sailing past and looking longingly up into their mysterious depths. Glade riding is soulful and transcendent. Especially when you're alone. It's just you, the snow, and the trees. The trees seem to move here and there, welcoming you into the secret depths they maintain in secret from the rest of the world. There are some spots at Hotham that this is particularly true of. I must have done 6 or more runs through here, each time finding a new line. Each time remarkable for the absence of other people. I was content to drift through the quiet world within the forest; blissful as a nature-induced lassitude washed over me, popping through powder turns, the only noise the quiet swoosh of snow moving as I swept through this world, and my own deep breaths and quiet and reflective chuckling and sighs of contentment. The worries of the world half an Earth away disappearing with each turn, with each quad-burning turn.
As I stood for photos I marvelled at the golden light filtering through the stately and graceful pines; light changing like a chameleon from soft white, to ethereal golden-laced and sunlight-dappled early morning translucence. Truly humbling. Swathes of snow fell intermittently from the sky, quickly and seamlessly alternating from heavy to light.


I was alone on this journey and the chance to not talk, and just to "be" was most welcome. The trees cast soft and barely perceptible shadows by the minute as the light changed from leaden grey to soft gold. I felt like I was in a med


All mine.



Over this edge. Awaits clarity. Sense of purpose. Instantaneous existence. No extraneous interruption or thought except that of the very moment you are experience.
Redemption. I don't think I've ever felt so light hearted as I have as when I went over here. A truly soul-deep smile played across my lips. Joy. Ephemeral moments, repeating. Moments that are fractal in nature. Repeated joy. Nirvana.
The photos do not do it justice, but they are etched into my memory as if they were but a moment ago. Locked away for safe keeping. No one can ever take moments like that away.


After I do about my 8th run down this place, constantly finding untouched patches of snowy paradise, I face shot a little too hard (I got addicted very quickly) and cartwheeled once, landed on my tail and stopped for a moment to enjoy the sensation of being covered in snow - a living snowman - and hear "Tiiiiiim!" Packy had heard my crash-induced exultation.
What follows is a short photo-journal of some fun we had. It was a little cold and snowy to set these up properly - more a case of quick set up, snap it, and hope it came out.
Tim hitting; slash to reo. I just made that name up. That's how I roll.



Packy having fun.










Tim busting off a natural hit. Rest of sequence out of focus...

These two made me miss my Zac. Sorry for blurriness, the lense was foggy.


Lense was foggy as we were in an awesome cafe which was the scene of....The World's Best Hot Chocolate! I couldn't pass the chance up, so I had coffee AND chocolate. Packy loved it.

Snow folded back on itself.

Packy getting all arty; photo Pack

Gate in foreground; this is on the Transcanada Highway. The number 1. As in. If this is down, you go no further. That's how much snow they get here. It's how they roll. The drive was stunning. There is so much water and snow around. Scenery just cannot be described in words. I get sleepy so Packy drives. We get to Revelstoke quickly and it's just covered in snow. Snow everywhere. Most houses have around 2ft on the rooves. It's like a metre blanket of snow everywhere and buried underneath are houses. There are cutout pathways and passages to people's front doors. Surreal.

Next few shots are from the lodge at Revelstoke Lodge...looking out across the mountains. A truly humbling experience. I felt tiny. It was exciting to see all the helicopters in the air, ferrying people into the nether regions to go heli-boarding/skiing. Excitement was electric.




No comments: